Every 6-8ish weeks, our poodle needs to be groomed. When he was a pup I paid someone to do it. By the time he had his full coat it was costing me $60-70 a pop. It took me a while, but I finally realized I needed to learn to do it myself. Now Rusty and I take turns grooming him for $7 and 3-4 hours at a do-it-yourself dog bath. Tommy likes to come help. He's an awesome kid!
First we bathe Nic. Then we use their super-powered blow dryers to dry him off. He HATES it! See his tail between his knees and how he is hiding his head!
Sometime in there we trim his nails (which he always fights-I don't know why) and pull the hair out of his ears (which he doesn't seem to mind). Once he is completely dry, we get the clippers. If his hair is wet at all, the clippers bind up. The store doesn't like it at all when they give you sharp blades and you hand them back dull ones! In the summer we cut his face and feet with a #30, his legs with a #7 and his body with a #10. During the winter we use a #10, #7, and #4. (higher number means shorter cut) If I'm being overly lazy I skip the middle and just do his body and legs the same length. Its a lot of work to get his feet clipped! Here is a nice before & after!
But we don't get to clipper all of his hair. We do a sporty cut for our dog (less maintenance) but I can't bring myself to clipper off his topknot, ears, and tail. That ends up being scissoring work. I think I've learned to do it pretty good, really. I see other poodles looking more gorgeous, but I make myself feel better saying he's a boy!
Our Nic-o is a fun and very happy dog. We love him!
| 3 weeks after his last hair cut |


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment