(<---- the chicken house. Tommy "helped" build it.)
Friday, October 17, 2008
The reason Ephraim is scared stiff of chickens....
Sunday after church Rusty was chopping firewood on the patio while I made supper. There was a lot of going in and out the door and I did not do a good job keeping track of Ephraim and he slipped outside in the cold in just his church clothes. He ended up coming in with a very dirty white shirt and hands. I cleaned him up and he ran off in his onesie and slacks and he slipped out the back door again!The next thing I know Rusty comes running in holding Ephraim out to me and, not saying a word, ran back outside. Ephraim was a mess! He was screaming and crying and his face and several long bleeding scratches on it! I comforted him and cleaned him up all the while wondering what in the world had happened!!! As I held a cool washcloth over his right eye, which was already swollen, Rusty came inside and filled me in.
Ephraim had been chasing our two hens in the grass and the rooster apparently saw him as a threat and attacked him with the spines on the back of his legs! I guess the rooster got a few hits in before the bike whizzed past his ear then a rock hit him. Rusty was absolutely beside himself and we nearly had some fresh chicken meat. Needless to say, it motivated us to get the chicken coop put together! By Monday evening there were no more chickens roaming around in the yard. Tuesday after lunch I went outside and the kids followed, Tommy pulling Ephraim outside. E sat down on the back step and cried his poor little eyes out shaking like a leaf! I rushed over to him and carried him to the chicken coop and showed him that the chickens can't get out anymore and he is safe! He hiccoughed a couple times and then asked to be put down so he could play in the sand box! Poor baby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Poor little guy!! I had no idea that roosters had spines on their legs and could be so nasty.
Annie,
I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog so I could find you! Working and two kids...you must be crazy busy. That's quite a chicken story. I didn't know roosters were so aggresive. I'm living in Meridian too. What hospital do you work at? So good to get back in touch with you.
Becky Ann
That's so sad! We had a killer rooster when I was little, and to this day I'm still scared of them!
I'm glad he has such a sweet mommy to comfort and love him! I'd be scared of chickens too.
Post a Comment